Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
Increasing gas prices affect everyone. The impact is especially significant for families whose livelihoods are dependent on driving to and from work. Although we may not see gas prices drop anytime soon, here are a few ways to help spend less on gas.
Coupons – They may be hard to find, but coupons do exist. Major grocery chains like Publix will offer a 20% discount on a $50 fill-up if you purchase $50 worth of groceries.
Use cash – It costs service stations money to accept credit cards. However, depending on the region, some gas stations will charge less per gallon to pay in cash.
Stay light – The more weight you carry, the more energy and fuel is needed to move your vehicle. So except for emergency gear, don’t keep unnecessary items in your car.
Gas trackers – Organizations like AAA and even local news stations allow you to check gas prices in your area. Remember not to drive out of your way to get to the lowest price!
Map your drive – Planning your route ahead of time and avoiding backtracking will make your next journey fuel-efficient.
Efficient cooling – Park in the shade to make it easier to cool down your car. When driving, keep the windows up and the A/C as low as is comfortable.
Combine errands – Instead of running out every time you need something, schedule time once a week to complete all your errands at once.
Reward programs – Check your local gas station or credit card for rewards programs, offering a percentage back or gift card redemption.
Become a member – If you are fortunate to live near a Costco, Sam’s Club, or BJ’s Wholesale, it may be worth the membership in exchange for savings in fuel.
Check tire pressure – Ensure your tire pressure is set according to the manufacturer’s recommendation. Improperly inflated tires can reduce gas mileage by as much as 3%.
Proper maintenance – If you have been putting off your scheduled maintenance, now is the time to schedule an appointment. Poor car maintenance can drop fuel efficiency by 5% or more.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Healthy Recipes for Fall Produce
- Conversation Etiquette: How to Express Your Opinion on Social Media
- Which Ages Are Important for Retirement Planning
- Starting a Business After 60? Use These 4 Tips for a Head Start
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Get Insurance for Diabetics
- What Medical Bills are Tax Deductible for 2019?
- This is Why You Pay Taxes on Employer-Sponsored Disability Insurance
- Life vs. Accidental Death Insurance
- Benefits of Dental Insurance
- Are You Ready for Your Insurance Review?
- What Happens if You Miss Medicare Open Enrollment?
- Good News: Part D Donut Hole Closes in 2020
- Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment – Important Dates and What’s New
- Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period is Here!
- How to Prepare for the 2019 Medicare Annual Enrollment Period